Monday, March 22, 2010

A bit of poker

A bit of poker as I haven’t mentioned it in awhile except in my pet peeves. Played the AP 5K GTD, $1.10 entry, $1 rebuys, turbo. Sheesh, talk about your donkaments. Had one guy going all in with anything and double rebuying if, or more likely when, he lost. Wonder why he just didn’t enter a $20 or $30 buy in? I was blessed with a rash of good hands early and went in to the regular portion the chip leader by a decent margin especially thanks to that gentleman. If I had followed my instincts just a tad better I would have had double the chips as a couple marginal but playable hands against some of these donks would have hit big time. An A-9 suited would have flopped nut flush and a K-Q suited would have flopped TP2K, turned trips and boated on the river just to mention a couple. There were 3 all ins on both these hands so I would have really chipped up. My problem was that I had such a large stack by then and the rebuy period was close to ending that with 3 all ins I figured I really wasn’t that good and didn’t see any sense in endangering the stack as at least one of the players had a decent enough stack to hurt if I lost. Should have remembered the turbo however and taken the risks. I realized why I hate turbos. After the rebut period my cards went further south than Argentina and some of these guys were still playing like it was rebuy time so that the occasional steal attempt was about as useful as my cards. With the accelerating blinds and the decelerating cards my stack shriveled like a pecker in a cold lake. I made the money but not a whole lot. Counting the starting rebuy and the add on I got back my buyin plus another. Next time, if there is a next time, I go with the instincts.

Also played a couple of freerolls while waiting for my daughter to call me this afternoon. One, a gigantic 1K GTD on Tilt I won a seat through a smaller FR that I had popped up to occupy myself during another tourney last week. I usually play some kind of cheapie tourney when playing a more important on as a way to keep from being bored and donking off chips by playing hands I shouldn’t through boredom. The other was a $500 GTD with a pro bounty on Ziggy on Power Poker. Didn’t last long on either. The one on Tilt was reasonable as far as freerolls go, cards just sucked. The Power Poker one was almost as big a donk fest as the 5K GTD described above. 354 runners and over 80 of then out within the first 5 hands. Had a couple of the all in kiddies at the table and got smoked when my A-A got cracked by a K-8 and a 4 card straight board. Actually thought I might have had a chance as there were only 2 callers and they were K-8 off and 3-3. Oh well, gotta expect such things, especially in a freeroll. Now waiting for the third game of the forum war to start.

Forum war started and looks like an early exit again. This site and its structure sucks. Unless you have won a big pot or two you are in shove or fold mode by the third level. Beginning to wonder if I have some kind of tell. When I make a c bet or any type of play lately I’m getting called with garbage but better garbage than I have yet when I score a monster everyone folds up quicker than a cheap umbrella in a windstorm. Today no different. Three times I raise preflop, A-8, A-Q and A-T. With the Ace-Q and A- T I miss the flop and shoot out a C-bet when the caller checks to me and both times I get called. With the A-Q I even fire a second bullet and called again. Both times they have a better ace than I do. The A-8 I caught my ace and got raised when I bet out so figured at best I was out kicked and dumped it. Twice in the same period I’m on the button and flop the joint, including one pot with 5 players and it winds up checked to me on flop and turn and when I finally bet the turn everyone disappears. Must have a tell. Wound up hanging on till middle of the pack. Might have lasted longer but hit A-J just before blinds hit and being shorter than I anticipated due to a move that ran me threw the blinds twice in 5 hands I shoved and met up with A-Q and a board that didn’t go higher than 8. And so it goes. One more game next Sunday. I need to win our Buy in league even more than ever now. I want a seat on next month’s games on AP where you at least get a chance to play some sort of poker rather than bingo. Need to redeem my honor. As for the forum we came in second, again. That’s three seconds out of three games. Might not be so bad except that the team that came in first the first two games did so again. Have an outside chance of taking first but it looks like they are going to win this month. Just have to come back strong this last game and next month.

Finally I would like to say good bye to fellow forum member and poker player Bernard “Bernie” Warycha aka NY_Villain. Bernie passed away a couple of weeks ago though we just found out recently. We hadn’t seen him posting on the forum for awhile and thought he might be sick as he had some medical issues recently but when one of the other forum moderators tried to get in touch with him they discovered the bad news. Though never having met him personally from my online experiences with him the name Villain could not be further from the truth. Bernie was always one of the first to pen words of welcome to new forum members, had an upbeat attitude and was a font of friendly table chatter during games. Even though I knew of his medical problems and the fact he had spent time in the hospital because of them I had no idea they were that serious because he really never let on. He was one of the good guys in this world and was way too young to have had to cash out of the game so soon. Condolences to his family. Cya Villain.

On that note it seems appropriate to end this and thanks for the listen.

2 comments:

Heather said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
lightning36 said...

Poker just sucks sometimes.
Sorry to hear about the loss of your friend.

btw -- the deleted comment was from me. I was signed into my daughter's blog account by mistake. I thought you'd wonder why a teenager who blogs about make up would be commenting on your poker blog. : o )