Saturday, February 28, 2009

Some poker content

Have to start this off with two of the weirdest plays I have seen, both on the same night. In the first instance was playing a tourney on Full Tilt. Guy flopped quads and then proceeded to check them all the way down. In position yet. I can understand checking the flop, maybe even the turn but when your opponent checks the river how do you not throw something out there? Later, on AP, I watched another guy raise his A-A by 4 preflop and then proceed to check them down to two callers. WTF were these guys thinking? How do they think you accumulate chips in these games? Just when you think you’ve seen very bone headed move in the book.

Speaking of bone headed I’ve been playing the low limit 4 card hold em tourneys on Full Tilt lately. Nominally they are supposed to be Omaha games but I can’t call it Omaha when you have raise, reraise, all-in with 4-5 callers preflop. At the showdown you see one guy actually have an Omaha hand worth playing to the raise and everyone else has a pair of somethings. Been getting some small cashes but most nights are like last night where my pot sized bets on the flopped nut straight was called on both flop and turn by someone holding a pair of kings who winds up backdooring a flush. Or the guy who feels his trips are worthy of a repot with a suited board and of course rivers his boat. That was the two Tilt games. The one I play on AP the cards just sucked. Those guys are almost as bad but not quite though almost every hand is raised pre. That game is a turbo however so you eventually have to make a move and hope you catch. Tonight Omaha was a tad better to me. Played a $1 satellite PLO8 to a much bigger game and although I didn’t get the seat I came in second and picked up 20 some bucks, just a few less than the satellite buy in was worth. Couple more people and I’d have had the seat but the cash is cool. My AP bankroll growing a bit which is cool considering I’m still playing with freeroll money.

Speaking of AP and my bankroll it picked up a healthy addition last night playing standard 2 card hold em. Playing the Shark Tour home game on AP last night, $4 buy in .that added another $70 to the bank. I like these games, kind of like the blogger games. Lots of chatter, mix of players and donks, fun in other words. Fact I seem to do well in them don’t hurt. Will admit I got lucky heads up last night. Went in to H2H severely outchipped but caught one of those hands you need to in a situation like this. Holding A-J in the BB the SB raised and I shoved, he called. He had A-7 and when the J hit the flop I was back in the hunt. It helps when you even out the chip stacks head to head. Slows down the bully factor. There were a couple of hands that pissed me off in that game and one I pissed myself of on. Twice I flopped a flush and had someone bet into me on it so rather than push I just smooth called. When the turn paired the board I bet into the check and got called. When the river double paired it and the guy bet out I had to trash the flush. Not once but twice dammit. That sucks. The hand I got angry at myself over was a preflop all in by the button with a call by the SB and since the button was short and it was not quite a 3x raise I called with K-Q. I was involved in a hand on Tilt at the time and basically just checked down with the SB. What I didn’t notice was the 4 clubs, including A, on the board with my K giving me the nuts. If I had seen that I would have thrown out a river bet just to see if I could get a few more chips. At the showdown I noticed the SB had the J of clubs so more than likely would have called a value bet there. I started mentally kicking my arse but luckily those extra chips were needed. Wanna thank Mojo for the railing even though AP doesn’t allow comments from observers at the final.


AP being good to me right now. Playing a $4 sniper, a KO tourney as it were for those who are used to FT terminology, as I write this Have already made a buck over the buy in in KOs and am itm though not deep as of yet. Sitting about middle of the pack right now, maybe slightly better. No matter what I’ve added another couple of bucks to the bank roll. Right now I’m a bit on the tired side so I’m not going to put it past myself to make a stupid mistake. Sooner rather than later. We’ll see.

Update

it wasn't sooner nor was it really a mistake but again I go down before the decent bucks. Went out 20 something when I ran my A-K against a small pair and thought I hit the K on the flop he siked his set. Neither one of us was in great shape, about the same amount approx 10 BB left. With that much left I probably should have shoved his 4x raise but don't think it would have made a difference as he was pretty well committed anyway though in these tourneys you never can be sure. People will sometimes try and hang on to the last chip but you could say I did make a mistake there by not shoving. It's a hole in my game that I recognize but tiredness and habit won out last night.

Well I’m boring myself now and I can barely keep my eyes open as it is so I will thank you for your visit and wish everyone a good day or night or whatever it is when they read this.

2 comments:

Memphis MOJO said...

Glad my 'mojo' was working for you last night.

How do you get in the Shark games, aren't they private?

BamBam said...

Hate to hear about you on that site, but glad it's treating you well.