Monday, March 16, 2009

Crap cops are alive and well

A break from my boring idle poker ramblings for a bit. First off I would rather be writing about what a wonderful time I had at Eh-Vegas. Unfortunately that didn’t happen. Not that there wasn’t a wonderful time, I’m sure there was, just that I wasn’t able to make it. When I got back behind the wheel 2-3 weeks ago I was sorely tempted to make the run. Hell it was the thought of making the trip that was one of the motivating factors to start retraining the arm that quickly. WTF, it’s only a 7 hour run, a walk in the park in my old traveling days compared to when I was nonstopping to Chicago, Sheboygan, WI, or Whitewater Lake in WI. Well this weekend showed me it was a wise decision not to attempt the trip. I’m not even ready for an AC poker run let alone a real road trip. Most of my driving since I started again has been mainly really local, to work, the store, the local RPT game, nothing really over 15 mile. While I feel the arm gaining strength there are still times I have to get it out of the way because it has grown tired or it hits me with a bit of pain. Saturday I took it up a notch. I went to a game a bit more than just a 5 min ride from the house. When I got knocked out of there early I decided I wanted to hit the farmer’s market. They have a lot of great stands there but in particular there is a dried fruit and nut stand with exceptionally cheap prices and a candy stand that is the same not to mention it is one of the only places left to buy Jujubes. They are only open on Fridays and Saturdays and I usually head up there when I am jonesing for black licorice, nuts or jerky. Saturday I was jonesing for fruit and nuts so off I went after the poker game. Well between the poker game, the trip to the farmer’s market and a few other odds and ends I wound up putting about 50-60 miles on the car and by Saturday evening my right arm, the good one was tired. So if the right arm got tired with that little bit of driving because the left on can’t spell it yet I’m definitely not ready to hit the open road. On a brighter note however I hit the gym on Sunday and was able to get in a whole raft of exercises on the arm. I’m paying for it today but it felt good.

Now here is what all two the throngs of my loyal readers have been waiting for. The crap cops are alive and doing well. No shit. This weekend I get a call from the rehab hospital I was in that didn’t have to do about money. Now that they are finally paid off they decided that it was OK to do a follow up study. They wanted to know how I felt about their services and how satisfied I was. In addition they did a follow up on me asking questions about my progress. How was I walking? Any problems getting in and out of the tub to shower? Was I shaving? Didn’t know how to answer this one. Shaving for me can be problematic at the best of times. I might not be shaving but it’s probably more because I’m lazy and hate to rather than any result of the stroke. Then, at the very end, they actually asked it. It shouldn’t have surprised me but it did. Out came, The Question! Was I having any problems moving my bowels? Cripes, these people just don’t give up. Couldn’t help it, I totally cracked up. Makes me wonder if I said yes if they would have Fed Exed a laxative over. It must be ingrained. I mean, I can understand them worrying about it while I’m in the hospital. They have to play CYA, make sure no one is suffering and they don’t have complications on their hands but to ask it in a follow up survey? Sheesh. It was good for a laugh though.

OK, time to wrap this one up. Will be back with more boring poker stories in the days to come now that I’m out and about. Thanks for lending me your eyeballs.

4 comments:

Memphis MOJO said...

the crap cops = I love it.

BamBam said...

Survey phone guy.... What a crappy job that must be!

:)

lightning36 said...

Saw that title and just had to read on to find out who and what the crap cops were.

Crappy job indeed!

Wolfshead said...

Lightning,

you might want to check some of my earliest posts to get a good idea