Tuesday, January 27, 2009

A little poker, very little

OK, played some online poker this weekend and getting really frustrated. While I have been playing mostly single tables when I have played lately this weekend I played mainly MTTs. I have a major flaw in my MTT game, I worry too much about survival early and so while I hang around, and cash at times, I usually get to the later stages without enough chips to really play except in desperation mode. My style seems to pay off in single tables as there aren’t as many chips in play but it’s killing me otherwise. So, since there were a number of multis I wanted to play going I decided to see if I could work on that aspect of the game.

First up was a freeroll, first half of the OFC, the second half being a $5 buy in on Sun. Followed that up with Cyndy Violette’s Rescue Pet charity game. Add in two buy ins from the Pokeranalysis league and the Shark tour and a PLO game on AP I like to play and I had a pretty good schedule and plenty of practice. Except for the PLO game they all went the same way. I started of accumulating chips, something I almost never do and the part of my game I wanted to work on so it was looking good. They all ended the same way too. Somewhere along the line I lost a good portion of my chips to a sick draw that caught and then had a good hands get beat by better, set over set, straight by higher straight, boat over boat. Enough to drive you crazy. The trend continued in Sunday’s portion of the OFC also. Was in top five from the first hand double up until about 10 min before break. I then flop top two and wound up losing to someone who called off their stack, in the top 20, on a flush draw with a pot bet and check raise in front of them. Their K-6 sooooted, played to a 4 times raise preflop also, somehow caught a runner, runner for a 9 hi backdoor straight. Left me crippled and took the other guy out. To be fair, I would have lost anyway as the guy that got knocked out would have beaten me any way as he had pocket As, a hand I didn’t put him on as I had an A and one was on the board. Thought he had A-paint. 4 hands after the break I lose straight over straight. Ah well. Only games I did do well in were a couple of single tables. Won a couple of $2 ones and a second and third in a couple of $5 ones. Maybe I should stick with the SnGs.

Tonight decided to sit at the ring tables. After a so-so session at nickel-dime NLHE I decide I haven’t played any Omaha lately. Since no one is playing regular Omaha I sit in on a .25-.50 limit game. Table looks lucrative as no one seems to understand the concept of scooping or folding. First hand I triple up when I flop nut low, practically counterfeit proof at that and nut hi draw and the hand only got better. Only problem is, I was first to act and had no chance to raise. Watching the calling stations in action while I had waited I figured I didn’t wish risk losing a bet by trying for a check raise. Afterwards the stake went up and down as I got smacked by a few boat over boat hands and quartered a couple of times when I had nut lo and decent but not nut hi. Some peckerwood couldn’t get it thru his thick skull that raising with only the nut low is not good sense, especially when someone else is already check calling in front of you, usually a sure sign that there is another low out there. Bastard caused me to be quartered at least 3 times. As of right now still up a bit as the table has tightened up and what pots I win aren’t that big. Just won a big pot by being on the higher side of the boat over boat situation but had to sign off the site as for some reason it won’t bring up the tourney list and I want to play in a PLO tourney in 10 min. Signed back on to AP and entered the tourney but now have to wait for a seat at the Omaha table.

Well, PLO game starting and just got a seat at the table so time to relieve you from your boredom. Thank you once again for your time.

2 comments:

Riggstad said...

Post again already!

Wolfshead said...

Impatient. Just because you're lying round recovering doesn't mean the rest of us are