Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Another lousy Stars game

Sitting here waiting for the second game of the Stars blogger freerolls to start so figured I’d keep myself busy typing. May play a few other games tonight depending on how I feel. Already put a couple of seconds on the board in AP freerolls this afternoon.

One of the things I forgot to put in yesterday’s post was the fact I finally made it up to the gym yesterday, first time since the stroke, if anyone cares about the rehab. Was planning to basically work the legs but after a few miles on the bike and some weight work on the legs I decided to see what the arm could do, if anything. Started of with a seated chest press at minimum weight. That gave me some problems, not with the weight itself but pushing with my hand brought a sharp pain in the wrist. Not an auspicious beginning. Moved to the curls. They were a bit better. Couldn’t turn the wrist enough to get the usual grip on the crosspiece but was able to grab the runner up to that and so worked it that way. While only the 20# minimum on that also it was tough and had to use my good arm as the steadying force, the way a spotter works for a man doing a bench press. Arm work really seemed to be a long way. Moved to lat pull down after and things picked up a bit. It’s a split machine so that I could set it to just work my left arm. Started without any weight figuring the machine itself might provide enough resistance and almost wound up on my ass when it didn’t. Added 5# and that was better but still to light. Moved to 10# and that was better but might try 15 when I hit it tomorrow. Then moved to the dumbbells and found I could grip and hold a 2.5# one without much trouble so did some shoulder shrugs and then some curls with the bad arm. They felt good. Called it quits after that. Had therapy today and didn’t want to pus too hard. Hand was a bit swollen this am, probably from my cavalier treatment of the wrist. Therapist decided to see if we can start stretching that out when I told her. Also started me on the hand bike to start building strength when I told her I could grip pretty well now.

Stars tourney has started and find myself seated at Mojo’s table. Speak about inauspicious beginnings. Find myself halved early by a couple of slow plays. First I hit a K with a decent kicker and get nailed by an A-K who didn’t raise pre and was content to just call me down when I bet. Never suspected that A. Next hand had PP8s and called pre flop raise. Two lo and J hit and raiser checked and the raised my bet. Figuring he raised on PPJs or maybe even slow played an A-J. Either way couldn’t call with the 8s. Folded for awhile and thought I struck gold when I got A-A and 2 raisers in front of me. All in and both called and was against A-J and K-K. King thru the gate and I’m gone about a quarter of the way through. Just as I leave CK comes to the table so stick around to watch her and Double M for awhile. Oh well CK down. PP 9s against A-K and he flops the joint with T-J-Q.

Well time to go hunt up a few games to bore you with later. Thanks for the visit.

2 comments:

Memphis MOJO said...

It's a bitch to go out on AA with two other players! That's just not right. Some nights, that's how it goes and all that stuff.

Memphis MOJO said...

Happy holidays!