Thursday, December 11, 2008

Routinely busy

Been even a longer break between posts since last time. Wonder if my fan(s) are worried? Wonder if I actually have any fans? Does it really matter. Actually it’s been a combination of 3 factors, nothing really exciting going on, doing a lot of things (just not anything exciting) and, the last few days having to repair my network which ain’t so easy to do one armed.

Finally went out and got that new recliner. Not actually the one I wanted, that is still on the back burner since it’s an 8 week delivery time but found a great bargain at Lane’s going out of business sale. It’s huge, sturdy, sits up about 3-4 inches higher than most of the other furniture, comfortable as hell, was about 65% off and we got it loaded in the van and home the next day. Been spending a lot of time in it and it doesn’t accommodate a laptop well with only one arm, so it’s time not spent on the computer. Need to get one of those slanted type chair tables. Debating on the second recliner. I really want the Berkline I saw, awesome chair and reclines to 180 degree flatness. Maybe I’ll replace my bed with it. OTOH, they got another Lane just like the one I got and the cost of that and the one I got is the same as the cost of the Berkline alone. Decisions, decisions.
A nice poker win would make the decision easier.

Doctors have also kept me busy. Checkups and more checkups. Got approved for fulltime work right after the New Year so will be back there then. Just as I’m starting to get used to lazing around. Oh well. Went to the eye docs while I’ve been making the rounds. Got some new specs. They are another reason I’m keeping the recliner on the back burner. Could have furnished the whole house for the price of new glasses. Am glad that new materials have given me options besides tortoiseshell coke bottles but damned they have gotten expensive. Vanity, thy name is poorhouse. Look good tho and actually can read a lot better with the new bifocals.

Trees finally arrived last weekend and got some of them in before the rains hit again. Arbor Day society forgot my Japanese maples tho. Seems this property is not destined for Japanese maples. This is the third time there has been a screw-up with them. Last time someone was replacing some trees they had to cut down and asked what we wanted and they were told red maples, since Japanese maples have red leaves all year round. Well we now have two red maples in the yard. In fact actually there are three since the last Arbor Day shipment included a free one. For that matter so did this one but that is one of the ones I haven’t gotten planted yet. Got the hollies, the walnut and one of the cherries in. Still have the firs, another cherry and red maple to get in. Again, a lot of work with no notion of whether it is any good until the spring. Not a game for the immediate satisfaction crowd.

Pokerwise haven’t been doing a lot of playing either live or online. Got in a live game at the Snakster manor the other Saturday. Started off hot and was up about $80 the first orbit. Felt really good when I fired pre, flop and turn bets with the hammer and actually got these guys off the hand. Not my usual style of play but just had to try. Good thing Miller was late to the game because his response to my raise would be a reraise no matter what he has. He then usually sucks out on me. The good luck disappeared in a flash however on two hands when I caught top two on both and Pops, the Snakster’s father-in-law, caught a straight and then a flush on me. Most of my winnings shifted his way. Pops don’t usually walk away a winner though so was not about to begrudge the suckouts. Ground out a few bucks in winnings over the course of the rest of the night so it wasn’t as if I donated out of my own pockets. Other than that and a game or two at RPT venues my poker has been taking a backseat to my reading. (BTW Goat lady, my handle at Tilt is Wolfshead. My handle at most sites is Wolfshead or some variation thereof, usually Wolfshead56 if the plain name isn’t available) As for the reading I picked up a number of paperbacks, which are a lot easier to read right now than my usual hardbacks and so have been spending a lot of time getting reacquainted with the written word.

As far as the one handed situation things are improving slowly but surely. Arm strength is getting a lot better as is range of motion and control. Wrist and hand are getting there though a lot slower. Finger dexterity is the real bitch. Two hand typing still a while away.

Speaking of typing this hand is getting a bit tired of boring you for now so we will say adieu and thank you for listening. More in the near future.

3 comments:

BamBam said...

Good to hear from you Sir!

As much as I despise work right now, I think it'll be a good thing for you to get back to being a little busier with others.

Always look forward to hearing more.

Memphis MOJO said...

Keep us up to date on what is going on.

Goatlady said...

Was good to hear from you tonight!! I hope to "see" more of you!