Sunday, November 2, 2008

Public service announcement

This is a message for the victims of stroke, both the actual person and their friends and relatives. I originally started this blog after I met a crazy group of fun people who shared a common vice with me, poker. Even worse these folks carried their degeneracy even further, they actually wrote about their vice. After meeting them however I decided that maybe this wasn't as disgusting to the normalmind as it sounded. Or maybe it's just that I am not normal. Either way I had decided that I would participate in this peculiar type of degeneracy, at least dip my toes in the water. I have a sick mind there is no doubt. However, something occured between the intention and actuality. I had a stroke.

I had a stroke, simple sentence, major problems. I was lucky, my stroke was minor, as far as these things go. Lost use of my left arm and weakened left leg but my higher functions were unimpaired. However, as lucky as I was there are still problems that go with having your body fail you, especially at what is considered a fairly young age. Not to mention being cooped up in rehab and all the indignities that accompany it. All this time on my hands led me to following thru on my intention to blog altho the focus, at least temporarily switched from poker to my condition and circumstances. Be that as it may, blogging helped me thru a tough time and the encouragement of other bloggers and the fact that they linked to my blog so that others might read is highly appreciated and can never be paid back.

So what does all this bullshit have to do with a PSA? Only this. For anyone who might be reading this and is either stuck in rehab or knows someone who is, I recommend blogging, if possible. Most rehab hospitals seem to have wifi and if no laptop available some have a community computer. It's a connection to the outside world, a way to rail against the indignaties of the world and a good all around stress reliever. If someone does start one or knows of someone who has and informs me of it I will try to do what I can to see that it circulates because while blogging itself was theraputic knowing it was being read added to the effect.

That's all I have to say for now and hope this hasn't bored anyone and may actually help.

1 comment:

BamBam said...

A very nice sentiment indeed.

Glad to hear a little 'song' in your voice.(?) A little 'up-beat' never really killed a grumpy man.