Thursday, November 20, 2008

Ramblings about poker, strokes and reading

Playing the Mookie tonight. Had a ride to a live RPT game but didn’t feel like getting dressed. Game started off fast and went downhill. Opened with A-Q in MP but had a raise and reraise in front so gave it up. So far I got nothing else. Hanging around with half a stack or less for most of the game. Seem to catch a hand at just the right time to stay alive. Other than that, nada. Few times I did catch something no one else did and I got some blinds or min pots. Ah well, such is the game. Should have gone to bed, therapy in the am.

Speaking of therapy got some good news, bad news the other day while there. First, the therapist says that she thinks my progress is faster than she usually sees. Altho it’s hard to believe, at least in my mind, I’ll give her the benefit of the doubt and believe her. Bad news, it seems that total recovery, including all the internal damage could take up to a year after I think I’ve recovered fully. I do notice that certain small things are just coming back in my leg even tho the strength and balance have seemed almost totally back for a week or so. More like muscle control issues rather than strength, ones like being able to clench certain muscles.

Was going to play the Dookie also but decided not to. Too tired. Finally got the rest of the plants in the ground today. Place was a sea of mud and it was cold and windy but it got done. Me on shovel, nephew on post hole digger and father on hoe backfilling and we knocked it out. Thought we were finished at 2 dozen holes but got a bargain. Seems the nursery sent 4 extra plants. Today that was a bargain I really didn’t need, hands were cold. Big cup of hot chocolate spiked with some coconut rum helped afterwards. Some of the bushes had some live growth on them even tho the leaves had finally fallen off them so hopefully they will survive.

Time to start on a new subject, one of my favorite ones, books. Decided to start on this for a couple of reasons. One, I’m a voracious reader and book collector and hope to be again. Right now it’s tough to read since holding a newspaper and books one handed is a bitch.

Two, just before the stroke happened I had just ordered a number of books, some of them just collector’s editions of books I already have or have read in paperback. Others were new material I haven’t had the chance to read. Added to them are two graphic novels I just ordered. Except for certain special editions of these concerning certain series I collected in my youth I hadn’t really been a purchaser of graphic novels before. Not a snob, I got my start reading comics in the mid 60s and my daughter has discovered the joy of manga and while I buy them for her I take advantage of the fact they are lying around the house and read them myself. It’s just that I always enjoyed comics for the stories more so than for the art and when they went to a quarter from twelve cents and I realized that I could buy paperbacks like Conan for 50 cents and get a lot more story comics fell by the wayside in favor of books. I have however, been reintroduced to the love of comics. This week I got, as I said, two graphic novels. One was basically a compendium of some of the comics of my youth, a volume which is basically nothing more than reprints of Dr. Strange comics from back in the day. I loved Dr. Strange. Only regret is that the prints are in B&W. One of the things about the Doc were the psychedelic colors use to represent the spirit world in those comics. If I find the stories as enjoyable as I remember I may have to search out the hardbound versions that are out there. They aren’t cheap but they are in color and on better paper. The other book is Watchman. I have heard a lot about this series but never read it but while looking at something else I noticed the series has been compiled into a hardbound edition. So I thought I would check it out. This book is not a child’s comic with a lot of issues that were very relevant when it was written back in the 80’s. Started reading it earlier tonight. May write more about it when I am finished. May write about other books when I start buying and reading again. As I said, reading is a passion.

Third, I was reading Astin’s blog earlier and he mentioned he should read more, that he enjoyed it but that he just didn’t do it enough. I left a comment urging him to do it. Reading is something I will encourage in anyone, no matter what they read. Massaging words in your mind only improves your mental abilities. It’s one of the reasons I buy my daughter the manga. It may not be the classics but it encourages her to read. As I said, I started on comic books myself and graduated to heavier things. Another thing is that he said he enjoyed it. I also enjoy it and temporarily am not really able to enjoy it. It bothers me that I can’t but at least my problem is only temporary, this time. While in rehab I met a woman who seemed no worse off than I physically. While I was killing some time reading, before I realized how frustrating it was one armed, she told me I was lucky to be able to use my time reading. Her stroke had damaged a portion of her brain that left her unable to read. While the effect could be temporary she can’t be sure and even if so there is no telling how long it will be before the ability returns. What I am trying to say is, if you enjoy something, make time to do it. You never know when the ability to do so may vanish. And if you don’t already do so, read. It’s good for the mind and the soul.

OK, somewhere amidst the 4th or 5th paragraph I got knocked out and should have gone to bed but I was up on my reading soapbox and decided to try and finish. So enough boredom for tonight so I’ll step down from it and say thanks for tuning in.

2 comments:

BamBam said...

Don't it always seem to go,
that you don't know what you've got 'till it's gone.

So very true!

Memphis MOJO said...

Glad you got your plants in the ground, I love watching things grow.