Sunday, May 9, 2010

A quiet Mother's Day

Got a new frikkin mattress the other day, memory foam. Lots of fun. It’s comfortable and supportive I will say that. OTOH it’s a bear to get out of when you have a weak side and are more than a tad out of shape. You sink in to the foam as you lie in it for a time and trying to lever up with only one good arm is a circus. If that is a circus trying to roll over is the whole 3 rings. I’m going to have to hit the gym just to be able to get out of bed. Or maybe not, just getting out of this thing is a workout in itself. But damn it is comfortable for a man with arthritis. Only my waterbed felt better.

Giving my ex a bit of a gift today seeing as it is Mother’s Day. Sundays I normally spend a couple of hours on the phone with my daughter but today I’ll not make the call as much as I want to talk to my daughter. I’ll let her have the time to spend with her mother. Now whether her mother will take advantage of it or appreciate it is a whole ‘nother story.

We’re going Jewish for Mother’s Day. Deli that is. Mom doesn’t want anything fancy and there is a great Jewish deli not too far away so we are headed there for dinner tonight. Mom’s a big fan of their soups; she could eat soup if it was 120 degrees out, and a corned beef or pastrami fan. As for me they have a great pastrami Reuben. I just love a pastrami Reuben with a thick slice of raw onion, regular, not red. In my younger days I visited a deli across the street from where I cashed my pay check every Friday. Got so that as soon as I walked in the door my glass of iced tea was on the table and the sandwich was on the grill. I hate being predictable. It’s a shame that place closed down. Pastrami now an occasional instead of a regular part of the diet. Probably a lot better for my health though.

Playing a bit of low level NLHE on UB while killing time on a Sunday afternoon. Couple of strange rangers to the left and right of me. Both put $10 up and they keep it up. Neither plays a lot of hands and when they lose, even the blinds, they restock. Haven’t the foggiest about what the hell is going on but I’m up a few bucks and they are contributing here and there so I can’t complain. Curious as hell though. My acquaintances with aces continue in this game. I’ve seen them twice today. Once when I was holding K-K and the other when I had Q-Q. I’m spending my time grinding out 30 to 60 cent pots and both times when I get big hands and it’s AIPF for a decent pot I frikkin run across bullets and there goes all that work. Only game more frustrating than frikkin poker is golf yet most poker players also golf. In fact I even did so for a number of years until my shoulder put the kibosh on it. Was even worse at it than I am at poker. Just goes to show you, we are nothing but a fucking bunch of closet masochists. Use us, abuse us and throw us away, we love it. No wonder I’m always in pain, I revel in it. I never knew this about myself. Just noticed a third one of these constant chip stack players has sat down. Have also noticed another thing about them. They bet a constant 4 times bb when they play and they also do not raise with an A-T when oop. Some kind of bot? If so they are not doing so hot. Whoops, take that back, one of them just played a hand to showdown. It all went in preflop and as I suspected, big pair against big pair. The suspect player had Ks vs. someone else’s A’s and hit the K on the flop to double up. Either a bot or some guy has an iron butt and rock solid patience. Just glad it wasn’t me finally holding A-A.

Back from dinner. So much for good intentions. Have been trying to behave myself in the food dept. lately but tonight was tough. Can feel my arteries clogging already from the pastrami. In addition the mushroom soup and onion rings were damned good also. At least I brought the carrot cake home for later. If I ate it there I would’ve had to been rolled from the place. We got there just in time because the place started to fill up about 15 minutes after we arrived. Was lots of fun because it was almost like being in a Chuckie Cheese from the amount of rug rats present. Every family that wanted to take mom out but had kids too young to go fancy decided to hit this place or so it seemed. Most of them were fairly well behaved though so except for one crying jag when a young boy conked his head it wasn’t all that bad. Passed a couple of the really fancy places on the way up and back and think they had to run shuttles in their lots. Lot of families out for dinner today.

Well, it’s early but think I’m going to call it a day, find a book and break in the new mattress while reading. I hope all you mothers out there had a Happy Mother’s Day and my best to you. Remind your families that every day should be Mother’s Day. (I think I got myself in deep with a lot of husbands out there) Thanks for the listen.

5 comments:

Josie said...

Hmmm trapped in a mattress! I like it.

BTW I have one of those memory foam pillows (2 actually) and I LOVE THEM. Thinking I'd love the mattress too, but you never know if that's too much of a good thing. (like me)

Wolfshead said...

I've had one of the pillows for years. Actually got 2 more with the mattress but I only use 1 pillow so it's kind of overkill.

Josie said...

How can you only use ONE pillow? Two minimum for me.

Wolfshead said...

Those memory foam pillows have that contour shape to begin with so a second one ain't a lot of help to start but the arthritus in my neck acts up when I set it to hi so I one fits the bill any more.

Josie said...

You know what helps arthritis? Being nice to short Italian women. It's like a soothing balm. Try it! ;0