Friday, May 14, 2010

Web hosting

I've owned my own domain for a few years and it has sat idle. Now that I've al this time on my hand I'm thinking of putting it to use, maybe tranferring this blog there, maybe throw up a commercial page. It looks like if I want to do this however I'm going to need a web hosting company. It's a pain because I have a server here at home, originally planned as the centerpiece the home network and a family mailserver. Fios however does not issue a static IP unless you go business class so that rules that out. There are services for dynamic to static but if I'm going to pay for them I might as well check into web hosting and let someone else deal with the maintanance problems. I'm also eligible for free hosting with my Fios account but there you have to put Verizon in the site url and if I'm going to work my own site I want my own domain name up there. I'm paying for it, I want it up there. So basically this post is a question. Is anyone out there using a site host and if so is it any good and is the price reasonable? Would appreciate any comment on this.

Thanks for the replies and the listen.

4 comments:

SirFWALGMan said...

For your 1.5 readers I am not sure it matters much :). I would probably go with some GoDaddy domain or something like that. I am sure other people can tell you what they use. I am not sure Blogger publishes to a domain anymore.. I thought they shut down or were shutting down that functionality. So keep that in mind too.

Wolfshead said...

Thanks Waffles. If it was just the blog I wouldn't even worry but I have the site and hope to do more with it, maybe do the blog on a page, maybe an online book store, who knows whhat may happen. Then again I may go inrto a funk or get lazy and zilch.

Jordan said...

The guy I use is VERY reasonable. Send me an email and I'll hook you up with him. HighOnPokr (no E) at Yahoo.

kipper said...

send me an email Wolf. I will set you up with a web hosing account for a month or 2. IF you like it we can take it from there. HighOnPoker will vouche for me!!

Kipper