Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Grind, grind, grind

Why the hell do I play poker these days? I’m sure I could find some more productive activity for my time, like sticking burning splinters under my fingernails or being nice to Josie. Worst thing is I’m not even losing. Playing a couple hours a day of low stakes NL ring these days, usually .10//.20. Should probably throw in some tourney just to keep in practice as I get a bit loosey goosey in tourneys when I play long stretches of ring. Be that as it may I’m doing ok at the tables right now but it’s getting to be a real grind. Never have I seen such tight tables at these stakes. Admittedly that’s contributing to my winnings but it’s like trying to build a snowman one flake at a time. In addition it’s not really been giving me any blog fodder. Even given my deathless prose it’s kind of hard to make something interesting out of raising A-J off 3x’s and everyone folds 20 times. Even when I do get action it rarely goes beyond the flop. Today I’ve played 52 of 185 hands so far, 12 of which went to showdown, 6 of which I won. I have 33 other wins and am up 2 buy ins. That’s only because since I started writing this I doubled up against the big stack when we both flopped flushes with me holding the nut. The other 51 hands, 38 of which were wins had me up a whole half a buy in before that. Today the deck even smacked me as I’ve pulled K-K 4 times and A-A twice, the first time I’ve seen aces in my hand in almost a week. No action. None, nada, zilch. Twice I had them in the BB and not even a frikkin limper. And today I’m up big compared to the last few days. Usually it’s 4 hours of play and maybe up a buy in. Last night I wound up a whole 2 bucks, stuck in the same $4 range most of the night, up a few, down a few. Basically what I’m saying here is this is starting to feel like work except work had a guaranteed payoff and only half the frustration.

Probably play the Mookie tomorrow. At least that usually gives me material for here. Right now my mind is stagnating and I have no idea what to write about. Yea, I know, I’m pushing out a lot of words but mostly just a bunch of blather. Reading a lot and think about doing some book reviews but most of the stuff I’m reading is older stuff so not sure how of how much interest it will be. Especially since I have what, about 5-6 readers? Not like I’m Josie sucking up to (or bullying) everyone for links. Have a couple new books on pre-order but not sure when they will be in. One has been pushed back twice already. Summer movie season upon us but never was a big movie goer, usually wait until the video hits so nothing timely is going to come from there. Even Vegas is looking less likely this summer unless the Feds get off their duff and give me a quick resolution to my disability app. but that is unlikely. You know how fast the government is.

I see Josie has the first featured post on the Poker from the Rail site. Hell, she’s been crowing about it since before it happened. So much so that they probably heard her on the West Coast. Only thing is she says she got the spot without sucking up or other various techniques. C’mon Josie, no fibbing here. You’ll never get to heaven that way and considering that I’ve already got a waterfront lot and a reserved seat on the express elevator to the other place I sure don’t need to be spending eternity with you in the vicinity. ‘Fess up and maybe it will be forgiven. After all, the guys doing the selecting are guys. We know they can’t resist. I will sat they did make a good pick for their first selection as she does seem to have a large readership and gathers quite a bit of commentary on her blog. Hell, even I read it though mainly because she offers such opportunity for abuse. Face it Josie, you play poker, you comment here, you live in Boston, you crave abuse. Do you also golf? And by the way, that selection comment was not a nice one; it was based strictly on practicality. Don’t want you getting your hopes up.

Guess that’s enough for tonight. See you at the Mookie. Thanks for the listen.

6 comments:

Josie said...

Now Listen You!!!!

1.) I WILL suck up every now and again, but WILL NOT lie about it...I am very forthcoming about my sucking....I hadn't even HEARD about this till I got a random email asking if they could feature me....call me a bitch, but please do not call me a fibber, unless you want TWO gimpy arms.

2.) I was smiling cuz I thought the selection comment WAS a nice comment...thanks for clearing that up.

3.) I do NOT crave abuse...I just don't dig things that are easy...when the sox DO win, it's all that much sweeter....when Wolfie writes flowery prose about me (it'll happen, just you wait) that too will be that much sweeter...but Jeez dude, I'm 43 years old....hurry the fuck up and do it before I retire.

4.) I'm gonna play THE DANK too! Save a dance for your favorite blogger.

lightning36 said...

To think that you were the guy carping about everyone falling all over themselves about Josie.

You're not top of the charts yet, but you're rising ... with a bullet!!

Wolfshead said...

Lightning,

I have to feature Josie, she's so damned prolific and she's the only one giving me anything to write about these days. Hell, she's even outdoing Waffles. Besides you don't see me complimenting her do you. I'm the anti everyone else.

Josie,

you invite abuse, it's impolite of you not to accept it. Besides someone has to keep your feet on the ground.

Josie said...

Wolfie, Don't know if you noticed but I even gave you a hyperlink on today's post. I am uber sweet.

Yeah, you HAVE to feature me....me being prolific and all. The writer in me accepts that as a compliment....which is one and counting!

Wolfshead said...

How the hell did you give me a link? You were writing about wife beaters and sucking up to old men.

Josie said...

Please look again carefully. 2nd paragraph from the end...

"wolfie, it's a good thing you don't work here cuz the shit (sucking up) will be piling up..."

See? Now don't go hugging me over it or anything!