Sunday, October 19, 2008

By the dawn's early light.

Actually I didn't see it this morning the way I usually do in here. While I crapped out early last nightI wound up waking up around 11:30 and then couldn't get back to sleep until about 3 or so and I was still out of it when they came around for morning vitals and they were even a bit later on them than usual, about 6:30 instead of the usual 5. How come you always hear that rest is one of the most important things you need when ill and that is the one thing they don't let you get in a hospital? Do you really need to take vital signs at 5 in the am? Are they going to be any different than if taken at 7 or 8? Beginning to think it's more a sense of self importance than anything actually related to health issues. Have a feeling that I'm not going to be popular when I bring this up during the conference with the doc on Mon or Tue. but it's definitely going to be brought out. I didn't really get up until about 7 and just sitting here waiting for breakfast and the schedule to come out to decide how I'm handling the day. i'm beat and they tell me Sun should be light so depending on how things look I might lay around a bit this morning, do some work on the arm, catch a football game and maybe nap later this afternoon. We shall see.

Speaking of vitals I sense that tho I have calmed down a bit from my rage of yesterday afternoon I might still be harbouring some major isues. The BP for the last 3 readings has been about 20 points higher on the upper number than it has been lately. Thankfull the lower one, which they say is more important has remained decent. Have to try to relax, think good thoughts and find things to joke about and get that number back where it belongs soon. Will not let the frustration and lack of dignity in this place get the better of me. Kind of hard tho when there are strange smells coming from the other side of the room,, some making my nose hairs curl and relating to god knows what, while I'm waiting for breakfast.

I don't think I have mentioned that, while they won't let me walk about on my own yet, seem to think I need a keeper, they don't seem to mind me roaming the halls in the wheelchair. Kicking around in that thing is giving the legs a good workout.

Breakfast, such as it was, arrived so just took a short break. Very short. There's another reason I have to get out of here. While I like coffee, and sometimes drink to much when I do drink it, it's never been a routine for me. Inever had to have that morning cup to jumpstart my day Here however, I have taken to ordering it with my meals, maybe just to break the monotony. Just what I need from a hospital, to leave with an addiction. Well, think I'll lay back for a few until the schedule gets here and watch the news then figure out how the day is going to go. More later for those of you preverts who can't get enough of this frikkin soap opera.

As a final word I would like to send thanks and appreciation to those of you reading and commenting. Writing this is helping the mental state immensely not to mention relieving the boredom and knowing that it's actually being read, and maybe even enjoyed, and not just an unheard howl really helps. Thanks to Kat whose early words of encouragement helped me to decide to not just let this sit after the first post or two and a special thanks to Bam who has encouraged me not just to write but for others to read. It means the world and as you said in your blog, I can never repay but will try and pay it forward as you have done when the time comes. And you have my permission to slap me up the side of the head if I ever forget. Thanks.

Oh, BTW, tell Pebbles I have to hold off on that marriage proposal for now. Hate to renig but still haven't figured out whether certain things belong to the right or left side of the body and doubt that I am going to get a chance to find out while I'm in here.

4 comments:

BamBam said...

There will be no slap upside the head. I'll settle instead, for a slap on the back and a hoist of our glasses at our next meeting!

;)

Wolfshead said...

It's on me

Anonymous said...

Well, it looks like I'm the slowest poster on your blog list. That's all the slap upside the head I need.

I talked to the Nurses here at my work. They told me that vitals are taken (generally) at the beginning, middle and end of every shift. Depending on the patient it can be more or less. I would assume that the 5am check is the night shift ending. There isn't much you can do about that one. I would guess that your next vital check would be between 8am and 9am which is the morning shift confirming the last check. This is a check and balance to make sure that every shift is doing their job correctly. It also keeps a record of your recovery... or if things start to go the other way then they have a measurement so they can catch it right away.

You could talk to the night shift and see if they will do your vitals even earlier. Like a 3am check... at least then you can get back to sleep and maybe rest right to breakfast. Might be worth a shot.

You can bring this up with the Dr. but he can't do anything about it. You should still bring it up, but just don't expect much. Also, really complain about the old dude.


Keep up the good work. You should be healthy and out of there really soon.

Wolfshead said...

Thanks for the info nc. I'll keep it in mind