Monday, October 20, 2008

Waiting for Godot

Slept in today, made it until 7 before the woke me up. Actually they were in at 5 to check blood sugar, I am diabetic, but I practically slept thru that. Seems they also had the OT therapist scheduled to come in and teach me the morning routine. Sorry to disappoint her but I was already dressed and ready to go by the time she got here. If they would let me get up on my own I would have been washed up and my teeth brushed too. As I told her, I won't say getting dressed isn't a problem, trying to do anything with a bad arm and there are going to be problems, but they aren't major ones. Have only minor difficulties getting cleaned up and dressed. Only major difficulty is my right foot, my right arm needs about 2 inches added or my stomache needs about 2 inches subtracted to be able to get a sock on. Shoe is doable, it's rigid enough but the sock just flops all over.

Got breakfast and my schedule and now am waiting. Day is fairly busy but it's a late start, not until 11. If they aren't going to start me until 11 why did they wake me at 7? I will never understand hospital logic. Booked until 4 so as I said busy. As I guessed they got the support group on there. Since it's not at night, from 3-4, and I can't call my daughter until after 4 I'll probably go to see what it is about and to keep Mary Kathleen at bay. If I get her up here tomorrow trying to talk one on one I won't be able to resist and will probably have her stamping me certifiable. Think she is already wondering about me after our opening interview. Stray thought just wandered in, Wonder what she would make of Al? Or maybe the Rooster when he is being cagey.

Main doc wandered in this morning. She heard about the daughter's visit this coming weekend and said she'll talk to the therapists to see what they think and maybe springing me by then. Said the one therapist said she would prefer me for two weeks but she realizes the mental benefits of the visit can offset any deficits in the physical realm that would happen due to switching to out patient. Main problem is that out patient is 3 times a week for an hour as opposed to 5 or maybe 6 for 90 min by being in. Tho the extra days can't hurt , I am discounting session times because while they say the session is 30 or 60 min by the time the pusher gets here to take you where you need to go you wind up losing about 5 or 10 mins anyway and you usually share the session with another person so that half the time is spent resting while the therapist works with the other person. If , like today , I'm already in the wheelchair, I sometimes don't bother waiting for the pusher but kick myelf around. TThat's a bitch before a PT session however as it tires the legs right before you hve to use them for the therapist and she's the one judging how strong you are. Prefer to be pushed to the session and kick my way back. Don't care how tired the legs are once I'm back in the room.

As a final aside for now, I seem to have finally pleased the crap cops. Talked to both the rehab doctor and the medical one and they both said they will strike the "Halloween candy" from the meds list so I no longer have to go pill sorting to pull them out on my own. A relief, pardon the pun.

More misadventures later. Thank you for your time and attention

3 comments:

SirFWALGMan said...

nice blog good luck with your recovery.

BamBam said...

Is that a lighter tone I sense in this here domain? Interesting !

Keep up the good work Sir !

Wolfshead said...

Damn, a visit from the infamous Waffles. I am honored.

And yes Bam, the mood has lightened again. That depressed, maudlin shit just ain't worth it.