Thursday, October 16, 2008

Same Day, different shit

The doctors have now been in, I have been "evaluated" and starting tomorow they give me a schedule of workouts. Snuck a head doctor in the mix. Hope I didn't screw up my chances of leaving when I answered her question about drug and/or alcohol use with "only to excess" or when asked if I suffered delusions with "only of granduer". Sorry, after being cooped up for 5 days and being asked tons of questions, many of them repititious I had to let it out. She did seem to have a sense of humour so I'm hoping they don't bring out the guy with the butterfly net.

On a more seriuos note, I suprised myself today. I might be closer to getting out of here than I think as the leg and hand showed more strength than I anticipated. Just hope I'm not getting my hopes up only to get dashed later. Was able to do some walking and hit the stairs and the balance issues were minor compared to the previous few days. Ain't gonna be doing any squatting 0f 700 lbs soon but at least was able to do my body weight as long as I could hang on to a rail for balance Hand and arm have a lot farther to go but it's the leg that is important to getting sprung. The hand and arm can be done on an outpatient basis if they feel I can navigate well enough to get around the house.

Speaking of the hand, I actually saw a finger wiggle today. Of such small advances are dreams made of. Hey, it's better than yesterday. On the whole I was able to do some arm exercises with a modicum of help against gravity. You know, kind of like the bench press, that last lift that doesn't seem makeable until someone sticks their forefingers under the bar and lifts with you. Don't look like much but somehow it lets you accomplish something you didn't think possible. Same with the arm, just trying to lift and it seems nothing is getting done yet with that little assist I can actually feel that the muscles are indeed still working. It's looking like a long road to dealing cards again however. I have warned the therapist that she is in for trouble however. Told her that she better not slack or let me do so because I'm going to make myself such a major pain in the ass she's gonna want to toss my ass out on the front lawn.

Therapy room was a bit depressing. Sorry, but have to speak my mind. Place was filled with people that looked anywhere from 25 years older than I am and up and most look like they would shatter in a stiff wind. I understand that I am still young for what happened to me but this was scary. Roomie isn't too bad , maybe a few years older, but nice guy. Plus he's only rehabbing from a double knee replacement so three are no major issues there, only his need to do major work to get himself back in action. He leaves on Sat however and after looking at the crowd this afternoon it fills me with dread as to what I might draw for my remaining days here. Yes I know this sounds terrible and self indulgent and that some day I too may be one of that crowd but right now understanding is taking a back seat to my ego.

Hokay, enough for now, time for a bit of poker before I call it a night. Might as well keep me occupied. Go Phils.

No comments: